Why is there a Church in the Wood on Bramdean Common? It is suggested it was built for the benefit of itinerant families. It has certainly been attended by gypsy families on many occasions. However the prime reason is explained by letter to Hampshire Chronicle on October 25th 1883 when the Rev AC Bishop stated that the reason was to abridge the distance for those wishing to attend church. The village church at one end of the village created a 3 hour walk for labourers living at the other end of the village if they attended. The first service was held on October 21st 1883, 90 people attended (although it seats 50). It is clad in corrugated iron, cost £75 to build and was completed within 5 weeks. Although needs have now changed, it continues to attract interest. To find it, stand on Bramdean Common 15 minutes before service time and listen for the bell. Services have traditionall been held at 3pm on 2nd and 4th Sundays from May to September but this is not set in stone.
© www.alresford.org - 2003-18